This recipe is brought to you by Jenny Flanagan, Co-Founder and Owner of Dairy-Free Down Under.
Pizza can be one of the hardest dishes to recreate as dairy-free and gluten-free. But it’s also one of the dishes we missed the most when catering for our daughter’s dairy intolerance and our preference to be gluten-free. This recipe absolutely tastes like a “real” pizza – in fact, it’s so authentic tasting, you can confidently cook it for your Italian friends. As well as featuring our Dairy-Free Down Under Mozzarella Shred, it also stars my homemade tomato sauce. It’s so simple, but it’s always a crowd pleaser. Enjoy! – Jenny
Dairy-free and gluten-free napoletana pizza
1 x pizza base (optional GF)
1 portion of Tomato Sauce (see recipe and method below)
1 pack of Dairy-Free Down Under 200g Mozzarella Shreds
A selection of your favorite toppings (I like to keep it simple and just top with fresh basil leaves).
1 x tin of crushed tomatoes
2 x tablespoon of tomato puree
2 cloves garlic
1 x small brown onion finely diced
2 x tablespoons of Italian mixed herbs
Pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fry onion, garlic and herbs together until soft
- Add tomatoes and purée
- Stir well, season and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Check seasoning
- Liquidise and allow to cool slightly before using.
ASSEMBLY OF PIZZA
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of tomato sauce on each pizza or to taste (spread evenly)
- Place your favourite toppings on top of pizza
- Scatter Dairy-Free Down Under mozzarella cheese shreds over the top
- Put into oven and bake on 200°c until Mozzarella starts to melt
- Then, put under the grill until it browns. This is an important step and key to creating that “gooey” cheesy texture
- Pull out and top with basil leaves.