With food intolerances it’s hard to keep the whole family happy over Christmas and with over 75% of Australians suffering from a Dairy Intolerance it’s important to create some dairy free desserts. This gingerbread cake is not only dairy free, but the frosting will also have you licking your fingers for more.
For the Cake
- 2 eggs OR (can replace with Egg replacer – For one whole egg, add 1 teaspoon of OrgranNo Egg™ to 2 tablespoons of water. In place of egg whites, add 2 teaspoons of Orgran No Egg™ with 1 tablespoon of water. (If recipe calls for stiffly beaten egg whites, mix Orgran No Egg™ and water until stiff)
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 cup of Golden syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (can replace with gluten-free)
For the Frosting
- 175g Dairy Free Down Under cream cheese softened
- 40g dairy free butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean essence
- 500g DFDU cream cheese
- 200g vegan butter of choice
- 1kg of icing sugar mixture
- 3 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Grease your baking dish with non-dairy butter
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs (egg replacer) unity frothy. Add the oil, golden syrup, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt and beat slowly to combine.
- Dissolve the baking soda in boiling water in a separate bowl and pour it into the golden syrup mixture.
- Slowly mix the flour into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared (grease dish before with non-dairy butter) baking dish.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes, or when a knife comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before cutting. Slice the cake horizontal to make two cakes and spread the cream mixture on the cut side.
- Then place the two halves together. Ice the cake all over with the cream mixture and decorate.
To make your frosting, use your stand mixer to beat the dairy free cream cheese and butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar, in batches, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla bean essence and beat until well combined.
NOTE: Make sure cake has cooled before applying frosting and once applied, please leave the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours for the frosting to set before serving.