You’ve heard the rumours that a crunchy, sugary, plant-based Pavlova is possible, and not only is it possible – it’s absolutely delicious – and especially when paired with a totally dairy-free Passionfruit Cream Cheese Frosting and fresh summer fruits. You had me at sugar.
This is one recipe that you need to plan for the day ahead, as the canning liquid you’ll use needs to be cold and the meringues need some time to chill out in the oven to develop their crunch, but once they’re ready you’ll be able to swan into your Christmas parties and knock everybody’s socks off with this dessert and not an egg in sight.
Prep time 30mins
Cooking Time 1hr 15mins (+ 4hours of meringue resting time)
For the Pavlova
- 400g can chickpeas (using only the canning liquid for this recipe)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 tbs cornflour
For the Passionfruit Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 tbsp passion fruit pulp
- 175g Dairy Free Down Under cream cheese softened
- 40g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 mango
- Flaked almonds
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving the canning liquid into an airtight container. Place the chickpeas in a separate airtight container and refrigerate for another use. Chill the canning liquid for 2 hours or until cold
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line two baking trays with baking paper. When canning liquid is cold, transfer to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and whisk for 8 minutes, or until mixture turns to soft peaks
- Add sugar, 1 tbs at a time, whisking constantly for 15 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved, then whisk in the cornflour
- Gently scoop about a ¼ cup mixture per meringue, shape 10(ish)cm rounds onto the baking trays to make 12 meringues
- Place in the oven and immediately reduce oven to 100°C. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until outside of meringue is firm and crisp
- Turn off oven and leave meringues to dry out in the oven for 4 hours, or overnight
- To make your frosting, use your stand mixer to beat the Dairy Free Down Under cream cheese and butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the icing sugar, in batches, beating well after each addition. Add the passionfruit pulp and beat until well combined.
- The next day (or 4 hours later), dollop the dairy free cream cheese mixture over meringues and scatter with fresh mango, pistachios, coconut flakes
- Crunch, and enjoy!