It’s chilli without the carne (read: meat), but if there’s a member of your family who is a little plant-based adverse, just pop this delicious meal in front of them and see if they can tell that it’s not “real” Chilli Con Carne.
Hearty, satisfying, and just enough heat – heat that’s gloriously tempered with a big dollop of Dairy Free Down Under Sour Cream Style, this meal will quickly become a household favourite.
Now before you try this recipe, I’m sure you’re thinking “why on earth is there vegemite in this?!” but trust me, it works, as does the plant-based burger patty hack…
Prep time 15mins
Cooking Time 40mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 green capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 x 400 g tins of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Beyond Burger patties
- 250 ml / 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp vegemite
- Fresh chilli to serve
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Lime juice to serve
- 2 cups of Basmati Rice
- Dairy Free Down Under Sour Cream
- Peel carrots and roughly chop, place into a food processor with the celery
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, celery, carrots and capsicum for a few minutes, on a medium heat, until softened.
- Add the cumin, chilli powder, cinnamon, salt & pepper and stir
- Add the burger patties and roughly chop them up with your mixing spoon, fry on a medium heat until slightly browned
- Add the vegemite and stir through as it melts
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans vegetable stock
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Prepare your rice as per packet instructions (absorption method is my favourite!)
- Serve the chilli with rice, some torn fresh coriander, a big dollop of Dairy Free Down Under Sour Cream Style and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Enjoy!